Tuesday, August 07, 2007

This Little Light of Mine

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine...

I remember, as a young child, singing this song, in bible school, Sunday school and at church camp. At our graduation ceremony a couple of weeks ago, as each of the graduates entered the sanctuary, we carried candles. Those candles represented to us, the Holy Spirit that we each have within us. As Rev. Debra spoke the message she spoke of how "darkness has no power once the light enters."

In Exodus, Moses says, "If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you." God replied, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

Think of a dark room-darker than when you close your eyes, as dark as dark can be. Now someone enters, bringing just a tiny flame, just a flicker. That is all it takes to kill the darkness.

I look forward to sharing my light with others through ministry to the people of Tanzania. My biggest hope is that the children we serve there will grow up to be shining lights in their country and the world.

"I have but one candle of life to burn, and I would rather burn it out in a land filled with darkness than in a land flooded with light." -John Keith Falconer

No comments: