Friday, August 10, 2007

He Chooses Us As Is

Moses was a stutterer
David was a murderer
Jeremiah suicidal
Naked in the street
Paul, he had a problem
The specifics left unsaid
Timothy had stomach aches
And Lazarus was dead

These are the words to the first verse of a song by Peder Eide called As Is. We first heard the song at Sonshine last month. Peder is a praise and worship leader that was at Sonshine each day and led the worship every afternoon. I highly recommend his music. Our entire family likes it so bought a couple of his CDs.

The song is about how God wants us...as is. At graduation Rev. Debra reminded us, "God does not look at who you are but at who you are willing to become." I know that Shannon and I have a past that neither of us are proud of but we also know that it is our past hat makes us who we are today. Without that past, we would not realize how great He is, we would not be able to fully identify with those struggling with the same things we have. I am so thankful for a great God who will use me in spite of my shortcomings.

And now for the rest of the lyrics to the song...

Samson was a long-haired
Arrogant womanizer
Rahab was scarlet corded
Lady of the street
John the baptist eatin'
bugs and honey on his bread
Gideon a scaredy cat
And Lazarus was dead

Noah was a drunk man
Abraham an old man
Jacob was a liar man
Leah second best
Jonah should have followed God
But ran away instead
Martha was a worrywart
And Lazarus was dead

As is
As is
He chooses us as is
As is
As is
Infuses us as is
With never ending
Love transcending
All our weakness
No excuses
He uses us as is


Copyright 2006 Ya Sure! Music

1 comment:

Heather@To Sow a Seed said...

Thanks for sharing that. I'm not familiar with the song, so I'll have to see if I can find it. It was just what I needed to hear today!